Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Happy Anniversary - 23 years

Here is my story. I love reading on other blogs how a couple met or they write devotions for their husband or wives. Scroll down to next post to see pics. You know I am not a good writer but here is mine:

I met Kevin back in 1984. My best friend than was dating his best friend. So Kevin asked his friend to meet one of his girlfriend’s friends, which was me of course.

The first night I met him I just got in from a tennis match and I was all sweaty, gross but at least our meeting wasn't all having me made up. So we became really good friends and had a great friendship for six months. I really liked him as a friend but something didn’t click for me as it had for Kevin from the very beginning. I guess I wasn’t attracted to him but I LOVED his personality. (hey at least I am being honest). I think my mother-in-law would kill me if she reads this since she thinks her son is the best since gravy.

The real awakening didn’t come for me until I went to Greece with 6 girlfriends and while I was at the island of Crete, a voice told me (back then I didn’t believe in God, but I know now it was God) in the middle of the night while sitting at the ocean, “Kevin is it, he will be your husband".
After I returned from Greece, I told Kevin I wanted to date him and I am very serious now. After that we became inseparable and spent every free moment we had together.
In November of 1984 he told me he had to go back to the states and I was just devastated. I said “yeah right, a military guy, there is no way we are going to get married now and last forever. But Kevin assured me that he loved me and even though he has to go back to the states he will not leave me behind. I still didn’t believe him.

We got engaged on March 31, 1985 and he went back to the states in May of 1985. I came to visit him in August that year and we got married while I was visiting. Yeah there you go, “no wedding, just the courthouse”. Hopefully one day, we can renew our vows and have a real wedding as this has always been my dream.

Obviously we were only 20 when we got married and for us to jump in there without leading a marriage and not putting God first, that is pretty much bound for failure. But at least we had very old fashioned values and I think that is what kept us going year after year. It sure wasn’t easy the first 10 years. Ughh I wanted to kill him so many times and so did he. We had many Kool-Aid and food fights to let our aggressions out.

But thanks to God’s grace, today our marriage is just so awesome and growing deeper every day. I thank God every day for giving me Kevin. He is the sweetest, most loving, funniest, sexiest, handsome man on this earth in my eyes. But you know what I love about him the most is that he is sad when I am sad. He says nothing makes him happier when I smile, ha-ha I guess he likes my smile. So he has supported me 100% in this adoption journey for going on over 2 years. He keeps handing out more and more money every day to pay for these adoptions but he keeps saying “I love to see that smile when you talk about the children we are going to adopt”. Yeah I just love this man like crazy and I am so thankful for him. He brings sooooo much joy to my life.

No comments: