Thursday, October 1, 2009

Update on the Kids/Raising Boys

I have to say, school is going well and the kids like it a lot. We have parent-teacher conferences next week; I will find out how the kids are doing.

From when I posted the last time, Amira started wetting her clothes almost every day in school. After I couldn't take much more, I thought of a fabulous idea my friend Amy posted on her blog some time ago. I pretty much copied Amy's idea to the T. Thank you Amy! I told Amira that for every day she wouldn't wet her pants in school she would get a sticker and after so many days of not wetting she and I will have a princess party. We are into our second week and she had no more accidents. Every day she comes running home ready to put her sticker on the calendar. Really all I am doing is when she is done she gets to wear her princess dress and crown, and we will go have ice cream and 2 hours of special mommy daughter time. As to her behavior in school, I haven't heard much from the teacher but I guess I will find out next week.

Now my Biruk has been more than a handful. He and I had our run-ins almost on a daily basis and it hasn't been fun. He has become extremely mouthy, disrespectful, and rude to say the least. I am not getting much more into this as this blog is public and too many people just come here being ..... I'd rather leave that with some trusted friends. I thing the biggest part has been that his English is becoming nearly flawless and he is getting really good with having the right words at the right time that are not very honoring to his parents. I am sure I can fault some of this on mine and Kevin's parenting as Biruk only has these bad behaviors when Kevin and I are home together. He is perfect for me when its just me and the kiddos. Kevin and I just need to pull together strong and do the same at all times. Kevin is more easy and let's him get away with murder until he can't take anymore where I just don't tolerate many things. I often hear boys will be boys and even though Kevin is a boy, he hasn't raised a boy. Biruk is a smart little cookie and has already figured out how to play us. I do think that these kids who have lived at orphanages need structure and not wishy washy.

On the school front he is picture perfect and every time I talk to the teacher she tells me she want to take my son home. I guess if I had the choice I'd rather have him act up at home vs. outside the home. Kevin and I have never raised boys so I bought a book by James Dobson called "Bringing up Boys" and it has helped me tremendous understanding what boys are all about. But the one thing he says is that disrespect is not ever acceptable and I feel the same. Unfortunately this book doesn't talk much about disciplining but we will get there. I am sure this is a phase we will overcome eventually.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

:o) So glad you were able to conquer the pants wetting with Amira, I know that had to have been frustrating. Sorry about Biruk... you know I think it's the age. N is the same. Although he doesn't differentiate when he's listening or not listening...lol We too are working on respect. I will pray that we both find the happy medium... these smart little guys give us the run for our money huh? ;o)

Amy said...

You are such a great mama. :0) I know in time Mr. Biruk will get there. Love you guys! Amy

Jennifer said...

I love the Princess idea; it worked great with Amira. Biruk is a charmer, for sure. It is true that if they act properly out of the house you know you are doing a good job! Hang in there.