This weekend we are moving our 20 year old Danica into the basement. Don't worry it's nice, its a daylight basement and she is really excited anyway. Plus she is going back to college soon. She will not be home very often but of course we feel like we still need to give her a room. And I like to keep all my little ones upstairs with me.
Anyway, I really need your advice. If you are reading my blog and have never left a comment, I would appreciate your advice too if you can relate to my question. My 2 kids from ET are a boy and a girl, both 4 years old, and I will have to put them in one room. Although I am not buying any furniture yet I was trying to get some ideas. The room is already painted yellow which I think is a neutral color. I was so set on getting a girly room and a boyish room but since I have to now set them up in one room I don't know what to do. I have to say I am a little disappointed. I know the kids really don't care but I do. I just want to set up something fun and inexpensive.
6 comments:
OK, girl, you don't know but my other love in life is interior design. Wish I lived close and I could really help you. I think you should paint the walls a khaki color, then decorate each part of the kid's room in respective girl and boy nature. If you go with a neutral wall color, you can really girl up the bed and wall area around her and you can do a boy bed with decoration's around his area. I wish I had picture's of this idea. Their all in my head, which I am sure isn't a great help:)
I was thinking the same thing. Something neutral, depending on the yellow, you could still go with that and just address the kids individually on each side. I have the 2 boys, but when we originally decorated the room we didn't know what we were decorating for, so we have a light green below a chair rail and blue above, like the earth and sky. It's easy and can adapt.
I have no idea if this helps, but I think you can have SO much fun with this. ;o)
I was doing some more thinking. I think you said you looked at Ikea for beds - so i browsed their online catalog and I noticed they have tons of black and white right now. They have some black and white feminine floral prints for bedding and then you could decorate her bed with colorful/feminine/beaded pillows and for his bed you could do black and white stripes and put some boyish color pillows. You could have them do some artwork once they come with bright colors and frame them in black. All of that would look good with yellow walls. Or you could paint the walls light blue and do red and blue bedding - there is that at Ikea too or you could copy some pottery barn ideas - they always have red and blue bedding.
oh - and you know how they love soccer in Ethiopia! That would go perfectly with the black and white - like a soccerball pillow or a soccer ball painted on the wall above his bed.
what we did when we fostered. Was decorated our foster kids room in frogs and butterflys. Then no matter if we got girl or boy they would like it. We did alot of pale yellow and green. With mostly white bedding. Then you can bleach them. But remeber they won't care to much for alway. As long as it is there own. Another thing is you could do (my friend did for kidos). We did red, white and blue. The boys side of the room was fire trucks and flags and the girls side was blue and red flowers. they walls were all blue.Good luck planning!
When all else fails go to Ikea. :) They have great gender neutral stuff. Lots of bright colors. I could spend days in their kid's section.
Post a Comment